Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day 10, June 18, 2014


Woke this morning at Morris’s home.  My bedroom is as big as the bed only.  The whole house is as big as our living room.  Concrete floors and mud walls with cracks.  The house does have electricity, but no water.  The rain water falls into the gutters that follows a pipe into a well.  They boil the water and drink it.  Their favorite drink is tea with lots of milk, ginger and something else.  We drink it all the time.  After breakfast of a fried egg from their chickens, we loaded up the car and drove to the slums of 10,000.  By the way did I tell you that they grow all their own food in a garden.  Most all the homes have fences around them and barbed wire.  I asked why and they said to keep the thugs out.  Morris has a gate but not a fence.  He has an acre and a half.  He really needs a fence, but it will cost $5,000.  So we drove to Morris’s cousin’s school called FGCK ECD Center.  It is for ages 3-6.  My heart is so full.  These children are so lucky to be in a school for most of them are not in school.  The parent’s have to be able to afford a uniform for them to come or they cannot go.  They will sell a cow to get the money so their children will be able to go to school.  After introducing myself, we played many of our Bright School games.  They loved them all.  We played Superman tag, Ninja Turtle tag, Fox Tails, Line Soccer.  I taught them jumping jacks, mountain climbers, burpees and then we had relay races.  Some of the local children looked thru the fence and creeped in.  My heart was broken. One of the saddest was a little girl about 6 years old carrying around her baby brother with no pants or diaper on all day.  I became close friends with a local girl named Jane.  She could read English very well.  She was probably 9 or 10 years old.  She stayed by my side most of the time.  She was very sweet.  Her family can’t afford for her to have a uniform, so she couldn’t come to school. I don’t know where she learned to read so well.  I was amazed. Her socks had holes all over them.  I just wish I had a million dollars so I could help all these children.  It is so so sad.  But my heart is full with love for them.  I taught them how to sing “Jesus Loves Me” and they taught me a song.  They are so well behaved. We said good-bye and that we would be back tomorrow.  I pointed to my eye and said I and then crossed my arms on my chest and said love and then pointed at them and said you!  They all smiled.  We drove back to Morris’s house and I was fed fruit and tea.  We worked on the blog.  I have become a student in Morris's school.  He has taught me so much about the internet.  It is now time to eat supper and I am going to the hotel to sleep tonight. Wow, what a blessing day!!!!!
This is a chicken in Morris's house.


This is Morris and Mercy's home.

This is Morris's cousin, Monica in front of her school.



                                               This Judy, the teacher, inside of the school.
These are the children receiving the school supplies that Bright School children sent.

No comments:

Post a Comment