Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 15, June 23, 2014

So last night I stayed at Morris's house.  Again I felt bad, because they gave me the only extra bedroom, they have and his mom, sister-in-law and friend, all three slept on the floor on a mattress together.  This morning it was beautiful sunshine but very windy.  Sat outside and read my Bible and ate breakfast.  Then watched Morris and Junga get water out of their well.  Interesting.  I have some pics of it.  Then I learned from Miriam the African way to wash clothes in a bucket.  Then Morris, Junga, Jeff, Joseph and I all walked the three miles to the Africa Bright School.  The children all came running again, high fiving, and hugging me.  I set up an obstacle course for them which they loved.  Then I taught them how to throw frisbees, and they laughed and laughed.  Next I got out the parachute again and we did a mountain collapse and an igloo where they are all went underneath the parachute.  They thought that was so cool.  Next, I put small balls and beach balls on the chute and the kids shook them all over the place.  But what really got them is when I put the rubber chicken on and they popped it high up in the air.  I asked Judy and Monica what the tuition was for a year and what the uniforms and shoes cost.  They said that the tuition was 3,000 shillings a year and the uniform, shoes and backpack were 2,000 shillings.  All together that's about $50.  The little girl I showed a pic of on my first day there with the baby brother that she was caring for all day was there again today as a local.  I asked Judy and Monica if they would give her a discount scholarship and they said yes.  They would make it 1,000 shillings.  Which is about $35.  I said I would pay that for her to come.  So after we said good-byes, the little girl took my hand and led me to her home down the dirt road.  Morris was a little behind us.  Her mother came to the gate and wouldn't let us in.  I asked her if she was her mother, she said no.  I asked the little girl, Helen, if the lady was her mother and she said yes.  Morris got there and told her why we were there.  Of course we are surrounded by 100 children following us and even some adults.  She told Morris her husband would not let the child go to school.  She had to take care of her little brother.  Morris told her she was throwing away a wonderful opportunity and we left.  As we were leaving, an adult from the crowd came up to Morris and asked if we could talk.  We went into the home of Morris's friend that we went to the other day in the rain.  She said she has 8 children with 2 in college and 4 in high school and 2 in elementary school which she pays for all herself.  Her sister was a prostitute and drunk and had a 5 year old girl she locked in the house everyday and night while she went out partying and drinking.  This woman went and got the child from her sister's home a month ago and her sister has never even asked where the child is.  She asked could we give the scholarship to her.  This touched my heart.  We said yes and called the teachers and told them.  This little girl's name is Mary.  We took her to the uniform store and got her a uniform.  She was so happy.  I payed her tuition and hugged her so hard and gave her dirty little face a ton of kisses.  I don't know if this five year old child had ever been hugged or loved on.  I prayed with her and her guardian aunt.  And we walked the 3 miles home.  God is so good!!!  I face timed with Anna about her job interview.  Then blogged and packed up to leave in the morning.  I can't believe our time here is over.  We will drive to Nairobi in the morning and meet the guys.  I don't know if we will have internet at the hotel in Cairo or not.  I hope so.  Love all of you!!!
Mercy and Duncan up front and Rahab (a friend), me, Priscilla (Morris's mother), Miriam (Merc's sister).

Junga pulling up the water from the well.  The rain water comes down the gutters into the well.

Then they pour it into the jug.  Duncan's being a helper!

Mercy's kitchen.  This is the whole kitchen.  She has a two eye gas burner.  Everything else is done by hand.

Luka teaching computer technology at Morris's school.

Priscilla, Duncan and me trying to relax and catch some African sunshine.

Morris and Junga in front of Morris's school.

This is Joseph holding their ladder I just climbed to the top of the wall in the background on.

Junga can do everything.  He is sewing a hole in my suitcase bag.

Mercy is sweeping with a broom made of tussock grass.

Washing my clothes the Kenyan way!

Teaching the children how to throw a frisbee.

Part of the obstacle course I set up for the kids.

This was the biggest hit of all!

Monica, me and Judy with the school's new name-AFRICA BRIGHT SCHOOL!!!!!

This is poor Helen whose parents would not let her accept the scholarship.  Notice she has no shoes.

This is Mary who will be getting the scholarship before she got her uniform.  She would not smile.

This is Mary after getting her uniform.  She was so happy!

Hugs and kisses are what it's all about!

Did I mention it was cold here?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jan!
    Just got back into town where I could read ALL of your posts. Wow! What an experience! Your pictures are amazing. I cannot wait to talk with you about your trip. Thanks for answering my weather question. Have a safe trip home!
    Kitty

    ReplyDelete