Thursday, June 12, 2014

Day 4, June 12, 2014

Today we woke up at 9:00 am.  I haven't really had jet lag, but the sleep is needed.  We had breakfast at the hotel.  We had scrambled eggs and sausage and the hot tea here is good.  It is called chai, but it is different from ours, but very good.  Peter took us back to the school, and we gave the children all the baseball equipment.  They went crazy dancing, shouting, and singing.  They were so happy and so appreciative.  My heart is so full.  Then Gordon and Adam taught them all wrestling!  Their newspaper came out and took pictures and interviewed Gordon.  I have made close friends with Simon, Kevin and a few others.  I want to bring them home with me.  Next we walked about a mile to a baseball field, and they put on all the baseball pants and shirts and caps we brought them and played a game of baseball.  Adam and Brandon played too.  Adam hit a home run!  (in the field! ha ha).  Their boys are very good at baseball. We brought them real bases, catchers equipment, 100 baseballs, 50 gloves and 40 bats.  Then money the Stutlz family gave us for shoes, Morris had went and bought shoes for everyone, and he surprised them and gave them all out.  So many cheers and happiness.  Then Adam taught them how to play kickball.  Andrew, Morris's brother, walked me back to the school, and we had lunch.  April, you would love it!  All they eat is cut from their garden and cooked fresh.  Adam, of course, climbed up on the roof of the school, and the kids threw him balls that he would kick off the roof and they would all run and chase them.

I met a girl whose name is Zipporah Wanjiru.  She is very pretty and a stud athlete.  She is helping me with Swahili.  Everyone here looks younger than their age.  Morris and Peter helped me get Internet set up on my laptop.  Then Morris's wife, Mercy, took one of the chickens that run through their house at any time and cut it's neck off and cooked it for us for supper.  The poverty here is so incredible and sad.  But everyone is so happy, and as my Daddy always said you're as rich as your family.  And this is a family, and they have made us feel so much a part of theirs.  Don't ask about the potty situation.  You don't want to know!!!







3 comments:

  1. Love your pictures and those HAPPY faces! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, Your blog and descriptions make me so happy!! I know they are loving the Connell family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susie-Q, alias Peggy LaRochelle

    ReplyDelete