Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Day 9, June 17, 2014


Today is our 42 anniversary!!!  We have been very blessed with each other, four beautiful children, daughter in law, son in law and 2 precious grandsons!!
We got up at 6:00 am and had breakfast at the hotel.  Then drove the boys to the shuttle to meet George and their guide for the climb.  They were both very nice and very knowledgeable about climbing Mount Kilimanjaro.  I kissed them all good-bye and then they were gone and I was alone.  George dropped us off at Dorcus’s house to get our luggage.  Luka, Comein and Junga were there.  We walked carrying my luggage to the public transportation (bus).  It was loaded.  We were in Narobi.  There are thousands of people everywhere.  It is so packed and litter is everywhere.  I would have been lost if it were not for Morris and my two Maasai warriors on each side of me.  We went to Morris’s sister’s office and left our luggage.  Then we went shopping for some gifts for our children.  We went to the local market, and that was an experience.  Then we rode to Nukuru on a van that was packed.  Then we went to meet Andrew, Morris’s brother, for lunch at The Green Apple.  I got my favorite called Samosa. Then we went to Andrew’s house and met his wife named Grace.  From there we got in Morris’s car and drove to Elburgon to Morris’s house. All along the road are animals just freely walking around.  There are no fences.  Sheep, goats, cows, chickens are everywhere.  We even saw some baboons on the side of the road. It was late and we were all tired.  Did I mention the crazy driving?  How about going potty?  There is a hole in the ground surrounded by concrete and you have to hit the hole squatting.  Then you have to remember to bring tp with you, cause it’s not near the toliet.  Then you have to reach in a bucket and grab a scoop of water and pour it down the hole till all is gone. You brush your teeth over that hole as well.  Have I said too much? I slept at Morris’s house.  Mercy, Morris’s wife has a sister that lives with them.  Her name is Mariam and she gave up her bed for me.  I felt bad.  I went to get in bed and there was a sheet and four heavy blankets with a mosquito net all around it.  I can’t believe the weather here.  It can be so cold.  Morris said it’s the winter season and the rainy season.  Goodnight



1 comment: